Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Recycling Is Confusing

Apparently in other lands, which are still in the United States, people cannot curbside recycle.  For instance, Tuscaloosa, Alabama is celebrating curbside recycling for 60% of their residents.  Whooopeeee (excuse me, I'm in a rather dismal state due to a cold and the death of health care reform today).

However, in the great city/county of San Francisco, we not only get curbside recycling, but municipal composting as well.  I point out municipal because municpal and industrial composting can handle fun things like animal bones!  They also do all paper, food scraps, and yard trimmings.  Composting is relatively easy to remember although sometimes I'm stuck with a newspaper wondering how much life they can really get out of it if I recycle (so I usually dump it in the compost).

Which brings us to recycling.  Because municipalities control recycling, they also control what they want (or can) recycle.  This means when I've just finished the last drop of Rice Dream (a non-lactose alternative to milk), and open the carton to see metal foil lining the inside, composting is out.  But can I recycle the carton?  Well according to the carton, I should go to http://www.tetrapak.com/environment and find out!  So I do, only to discover that if I can't (and neither can 80% of all US residents).  Which is quite frustrating.  But apparently, if I lived south 5 miles in San Mateo County, I could.  But then I couldn't compost food scraps.  *sigh*

Of the 3R's (reduce, reuse, and recycling), recycling is my least favorite because it is attached to consumption and is confusing (the 2C's, if you will). But I'm finally realizing how important the whole cycle of recycling is.  It's so critical to look for recyclable (in your municipality) packaging or for things with the least packaging of all when buying.  The hippie store or Costco is pretty good about this, as they are unconcerned with advertising.  But you can take this concept anywhere.  For instance, when I succumb to my primal desires and eat Popeye's fried chicken, I bring my own mesh bag so I don't take their container, and even deny them the pleasure of wrapping my bag in a plastic bag.  Packaging eliminated!  

When recycling, make sure your city takes it!   In SF, you don't have to rinse (although it's nice, according to Joanne Wong, a waste manager for the city of San Francisco).  She also thinks recycling is easy, but I guess that's her professional opinion.  And that's it!  I was pretty sure there was a 3rd step we learned (perhaps taking it out to the curb?), but stick a fork in me because I am done folks!  

1 comment:

  1. Recycling can be confusing!

    And I too try to not take plastic bags now and get weird looks from folks but it makes me happy. :)

    ReplyDelete