Wednesday, January 13, 2010

My Ski Trip

This last weekend I made good use of my season pass and got 4 days in at Squaw.  I also took up 10 of my friends.  

It's pretty hard to organize for 10.  People insist on leaving early, coming late, and driving their own cars.  However, I'm happy to report that a little reminder to carpool about a week before the event, helps give people enough time to plan for pick ups.  As such, we only drove 3 cars, even though 4 people came up Thursday, 2 left Friday (while 6 more came), and 8 people left on Sunday.  All small sedans mind you- thank god for ski racks and back seats that fold down.  Yah, most people are surprised when I tell them what I can fit in my parent's Toyota Echo (this time it was food for 10, 2 skies, 2 snowboards, luggage, and 4 people).  The important key is a can do attitude!

Also, we completely minimized driving by taking the Squaw shuttle from our cabin in Incline Village for a massive carpool!  It's quite a feat to get 8 people on a shuttle by 7:50am, especially when 3/4 of them have come in after 10:30pm the night before.

Another feat?  Feeding 10 people.  Here I raise my glass to eggs and building sandwiches on the mountain.  We somehow managed to go through 3 dozen eggs, all of them pasture raised and organic.  Egg salad is an easy but effective lunch.  And when you build sandwiches on the mountain instead of the night before, they don't get soggy and you eliminated the need for personal ziplock bags.  We just carried some bread and fillings in two bags.  The last day we ran out of bread, despite me buying 3 loafs and Pumpkin making another, so we ate pasta on leftover plastic bags.  It was the epitome of ghetto and I thank my friends for putting up with me.

Finally, and this came as a big surprise to me, the only meat we had was 4 slices of bacon, 2 lbs of ham and 5 sausages.  Non-sustainable, so I really shouldn't have been buying it in the first place (but at least we ate in).  I thought for sure people would hang me by the neck for the paltry amount, but instead we cut them into small slices and it worked out perfectly.  The sausages peppered the pasta both nights, the ham morphed into breakfast and lunch.  Egg and ham sandwich is deliciousness I discovered all the way back in junior high, and I was happy to see it revived for breakfast.  That me would also have served sausages whole, leaving half the people behind or buying 2x as much, but new me held my breath and sure enough, we survived! 

But let's be honest, I couldn't have done this without my great friends.  Everybody was happy to carpool, take the early early shuttle, and were thrilled with the food/my over-planning.  So thank you guys again such a great (and green) trip!  I love skiing =D.

No comments:

Post a Comment