Thursday, March 4, 2010

Rainbow Grocery

If you are lucky enough to have the AT&T phonebook in SF (or to find 10+ untouched in front of a neighboring apartment building), then you can find yourself 20% off coupons for each odd month, except November.

Rainbow Grocery is a worker owned co-operative and it's truly a hippie dippie store.  You have staff that is paid a living wage, local and organic choices, and daylight harvesting (a mysterious and large contraption which almost eliminates the need to use electricity during the day).  You have bulk bins and no meat (*gasp*).  And by bulk bins, I mean rows and rows of beans, pasta, rice, flour (who knew there were so many?), nuts, and cereal.  Unriviled.  Then there are the bulk buckets which have tasty delights such as peanut butter.  Ooo, don't forget the bulk oils or beauty products.  We always bring our own bags/jars, which means a $.05 discount/bag, but more importantly, no waste.  Which I suppose is why I forgave them for not selling meat (and somewhat hypocritically still selling dairy).  

Bounty!

But the lack of meat doesn't really matter, because Rainbow is for non-perishables.  My meat comes from the meat CSA (pick up tonight!! Woooo!), produce and eggs from the farmer's market.  But those pesky carbs that Pumpkin enjoys so much is the realm of Rainbow.  So yesterday, with coupon in tow, I spent $28 on walnuts, rice, black beans, brown sugar, tahini, and rice milk (somebody is also lactose intolerant).  Enough to last...at least a month (see picture below).  The bulk of the purchase were walnuts for a pricy $7.59/lb (on sale from $10.09).  Although with coupon it was technically $6.07/lb, that is also technically the price sustainable meat.  I know which one I rather have, but since Pumpkin puts walnuts in a very tasty homemade granola and bread (why she doesn't substitute this with some STEAK is beyond me), I suppose it is more than okay =D.

The most exciting purchase (the realm of Rainbow is expansive and exotic) was bulk tahini (which I shoveled into my own jar) for hummus.  But then I realized, after opening my bean bags, that I had managed to shovel two bags of black beans instead of one bag of black beans and one of garbanzo.  *Sigh,* not quite a true hippie.

No comments:

Post a Comment