Thursday, March 4, 2010

Friday Friendsday (R+J)

While visiting my good friends R + J to start an early morning ski trip, I discovered they had soundly trumped my navy shower. Even in the haze of the wee morning hours, I knew this genius must be publicized!  So henceforth, Fridays are now the realm of my amazing friends and their equally amazing green conquests.  Friday Friendsday!

I had told R about my navy showers/water saving antics a while back and in response he engineered this:

This seeminly inocuous assortment of tubes and wires is a homemade pump system.  R+J's shower is now a resevoir for water, they've put the stopper in and take showers with slightly cold feet. Instead of going down the drain, the grey water is used for flushing toilets and washing laundry.

To do this, R simply bought a pump, which activates upon being dropped into the shower water.  It then pumps water out of the shower and through the clear tube.  The clear tube can be connected to either the low flush toilet toilet (shown below) or the washing machine.  Not too shabby for <$20!  And the tube usually stays connected to the toilet because it has it's own resevoir. As a low flush toilet, the tank actually holds enough water for multiple flushes.  Truly genius.

Hats off to R+J!

No comments:

Post a Comment