Sunday, March 28, 2010

I've Been Thinking...

Recently I've been thinking about the wisdom of radical behavior.  On the one hand, it is far easier for me to theoretically stick to something 100% than to let myself have room for error.  Because when I think to myself, ok, you don't have to ONLY eat sustainable meat, then it quickly becomes a slippery slope.  And soon enough I'm buying 3 lbs of bacon, 3 lbs of sausages, and going to Popeye's.  So much for the quarterly report!

The problem is, while I can easily live with myself radically, I don't want to end up as a hermit foraging alone in the mountains, drinking my own distilled pee.  After all, I think happiness comes from those you surround yourself with, not just the ideals you hold yourself to.  But at the same time, when I want to throw an impromtu BBQ for biking down from San Francisco to Menlo Park, the fact of the matter is, my roast/braise meat CSA is not BBQ friendly.  The 3 lbs of sausages or chicken we picked up were far more popular and cheaper than the $40 slab of goat Pumpkin caltrained down. 

Don't get me wrong though, my diet has significantly changed, and the way I feed people has significantly changed.  While I'm discussing 3 lbs of sausage, we only used a fraction of the package.  The rest is stored safely in my freezer.  I only cooked 3 whole, out of desperation to eat sooner since everything else was being cooked from scratch.  That includes pizza dough, tomato sauce, lemonade, and butchering the chicken into proper pieces.  

And while we can debate the merits of having a BBQ in the first place, with it's emissions spewed directly into the atmosphere, I wouldn't have changed things for the world.  7 friends in the kitchen and in the garage (the theme being food AND bikes), cooperating to make a beautiful meal, which we then sat outside and enjoyed.  Beautiful indeed.

No comments:

Post a Comment