Saturday, September 18, 2010

Why I Stay In The City- Community

I constantly think this city is too cool for me. After all, most days all I want to do is stay at home and cook. But yesterday night, Pumpkin and I went for unplanned night on the town.

First we stopped by Freewheel Cyclery (I mean really, in a city with so many bike shops, hipsters get their own, how can I compete?) where Pumpkin had bought her new front chainrings/crank arms because she had somehow managed to crack her old one. We were trying to borrow a crank puller, since mine was incompatible with her bike. However, renting tools is $10/day ($30/6 months) at Freewheel and since I was going to use it for a grand total of 2 minutes, I didn't feel like forking up. If I didn't already have a toolkit, I think the $30 rate would be pretty reasonable (not to mention sustainable) and sure enough, we saw somebody working on his fixie.

With the first part of our night's plan a bust, we moved on to the second- dinner! I've been meaning to try NOPA for a while (not every restaurant gets to name a neighborhood) and knew reservations were totally booked so we decided to give drop in a try. Only a 1 hour and 45 minute wait, crazy. But I put my name down and we decided to walk around. I had seen park(ing) at Fell on my bike ride home so we stopped there to grab some free tea and sit in what normally is normally a parking spot. Most of them were converted thanks to rugs and potted plants. The transformation was impressive. We sat on the side of a 3 lane one way road, a main artery of San Francisco and felt completely safe. The newly green bike lane certainly helped.

Then we decided to check out a "game cafe" as Pumpkin put it which I very excitedly thought might mean a LAN cafe and STARCRAFT 2, but she meant the old school board games. At any rate it was closed, but every Wednesday they have game night courtesy of Gamescape. So you may find me on the corner of Oak and Divis next Wednesday!

Onwards we treked till a few doors down where the store was not only open, but there seemed to be some sort of party inside. As we peered in, somebody demanded we come in and explained it was a Earth Magic Product Opening. And it was truly magic. Desserts and drink, free massages, a tarot card reader and good music!

ZOMG, cupcakes, fudge, brownies, blondies, and blackberry turnovers! They even had non-alcoholic beverages so I happily sipped on some Martinelli's while listening to an amazing violin and guitar duo, The Jaunting Martyrs.

Good voices, solid talent on the instruments AND food? I was in heaven. So much so that while waiting for a free massage, we missed the call from NOPA to come back (my, doesn't time fly).

By the time we got back to NOPA, we had missed our table (and I missed the massage, darn). But when we were seated, we got the best seat in the house:

We watched this guy spin magic with pizza, warm olives, sardines, and vegetables all night. Not pictured is the giant fire grill to the left where rotisserie chicken hung and burgers and pork chops flipped. At first I was peeved to be sitting without back support (we were on bar seats) but the entertainment value quickly made it worth it.

But the best view (and taste) of all were our dishes. Mine a seared duck breast with figs, creamed corn and greens while Pumpkin had a pork chop with greens and beans. I thought both pieces were good, especially my duck breast which was moist and tender. Generally, I think pricey restaurants aren't worth it, but I think general ambiance, cooking entertainment, and quality of food made this night memorable.


So here's to SF, making an unplanned night on the town a total success. And, besides the pricy fancy food, the entire evening was free and surrounded by neighbors!

No comments:

Post a Comment