Monday, September 6, 2010

Holy crap it's been 2 months!

Hello everybody!

In case you were wondering, no I am not dead.  There's no real good excuse for my absence unless you include looking and getting an apartment, moving into said apartment right after looking and getting a full time job.  Pumpkin is very demanding sometimes.  But today is Labor Day and as such I have the day off and time to take pictures, upload said pictures, and write about them!

What a great move and job!  First off, I work for the San Francisco Recreation and Park Department, which is pretty much the coolest thing ever.  The job is challenging and I deeply believe in the role of parks.  In fact, this department is easily the reason why I can stay in SF.  Otherwise the concrete jungle would eat me right up.

The place is fantastic, a charming 2 bedroom at 1000 sq ft.  Which, believe it or not, is big for this city.  It's been a long process of moving from the dream of a single family home into an apartment into the city but I'm glad I did it.  Mainly because now my carbon footprint, according to carbon calculators, is pristine.  I would link some but I'm not sure of the veracity.

How is living in a 1000 sq feet apartment with 3 people and no backyard access or compost (illegal for SF, but our landlord rather sue than comply)?  It's pretty sweet.  While 1000 sq feet seems small, it's big enough to have moved our furniture around 4 different times in just over a month.  It feels different all the time!  Our energy costs?  Below the roof- $20 for 3 people.  Perhaps the best part is my commute- 10 minutes on a bike and close/cold enough so I don't have to change clothes.  

Although we don't have backyard access, we do have 2 bayview windows that let in a lovely amount of sun.  Because of that, I am starting an herb garden- and the oregano and basil have sprouted!  I'm so proud!  For compost, we do it anyways and just find other compost bins to dispose in.  It's a little less convenient, but worth it.  Plus, with 3 people, we can split that chore quite easily (and I must admit, my roommates do a far better job than I do).  

Speaking of which, the best part of moving is getting to live with 2 of my favorite people in the WORLD.  One is Pumpkin and the other is my high school friend Jon (of earphones fame).  We agree on the big things (being green, being laid back, and food) which makes the little things so much easier.  Plus, now I get to cook more without having to do dishes- sweet!

And now it's time for a customary food photo:

Blackberry 5 grain pancakes and pan-seared salmon sandwich topped with tomato, egg, and caramelized onions and bell pepper.  Strawberry smoothie.  Perfect mix of Pumpkin and I's food preferences.  And as far as I can tell, J will eat anything.

No comments:

Post a Comment