Wednesday, November 4, 2009

November CSA

Pork spareribs- 2.65 lbs
2 Chicken Half, White- 3.02 lbs
2 Chicken Quarter, Dark- 2.45
Beef Sirloin Tip Roast- 2.11
4 Goat osso bucos- .71 .42 .56 .47 = 2.16
Goat stew- .91
Lamb boneless shoulder- 1.70

= 15 lbs of meat!

I have to admit, when I found the box with my name, I dug through all the rest of the boxes to make sure I didn't miss anything else. And then when I opened the box, I was sure I was missing some. This looked like $20 worth of meat, not $85! But I've done the math (above) and sure enough it is- this is the sacrifice of Ecotarianism. Most of it seems pretty benign, and the chickens parts look downright large, although I've never seen a roast so small. I'll have to keep a careful eye on it to make sure it doesn't cook over medium-rare.

I have no idea what Goat osso bucos is, but such is the nature of a CSA. It really pushes you to try new things. And sure enough, I've already found a recipe I'm excited to try: from cooking for engineers! They always do a good job answer my obnoxious questions of "Why?" I tend to ask responseless recipes and frankly, do a far better job at taking pictures than I do (which should change soon, when I get my camera back). Besides, braising is a fail-proof way to ensure meat is tender and flavorful.

Christmas in November! Now if only I could find somebody to trade those white halves with...

No comments:

Post a Comment