Wednesday, April 14, 2010

I HAD STEAK!!!!!! An Elaboration.

While nobody I know quite shares my unbridled enthusiasm for meat, I feel like I have to disclaim the previous post.  That steak was exciting for many reasons.  (1) I haven't had steak in so long, I can't remember anymore and (2) IT'S STEAK!!!  But this steak was particularly delicious because (1) I haven't had steak in so long, I can't remember anymore, (2) it was grass fed Marin Sun Farms top sirloin, and (3) I BROWNED IT IN BACON FAT!!!!  To be fair, I think the caramelized onions and mushrooms contributed as well, but oh my goodness, so delicious!

As L cleverly asked me, how does one who only gets roast/braise end up with a steak?  Well, when one is an amateur butcher, one sees steak everywhere.  

First, 15 lbs of meat comes in an unassuming box.

Bike the meat box home!  The C in CSA stands for community so the box is delivered, amongst many others, to a neighbor.

That box is not as small as it looks ;).

Meat should never defrost in a bag of it's own juices, lest you want to taste iron.  Putting it over a rack and covering it with paper will allow it to breath and dry age a little.  See award winning River Cottage Meat Book.

Cut it up!  Just make sure it's against the grain.

One 4 lb roast becomes 3 steaks and 1.5 lbs of strips.  All separated into reused containers (SF doesn't recycle styrofoam) and labeled with dates and sizes.  The easier you make it for your future self, the easier it is!

Some slices are destined for grinding.

My perfectly marbled, oh so delicious, and sustainable steak.

2 comments:

  1. Great photos, and a great how-to! The River Cottage Meat Book *is* fantastic. Glad you're enjoying the meat! -Danny, MSF's CSA guy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Danny! I heard you were taking over for Tristen, which makes you my top 10 favorite celebrities. Right above TomKat, they don't give me meat ;)

    ReplyDelete