Thursday, December 17, 2009

SF Muni Changes

On December 5th, the SF Muni underwent "major changes in service." While the rest of the populace seems alight, it seems to me this was a long overdue change. Muni was created when SF voters decided to hand government the job of a plethora of competing private transit companies. This is why MUNI lines make little sense, whether traveling parallel a street apart or a slew of buses following each other at once. They were a legacy of competing lines, now under one authority, and thus, outdated. So, about two years back, Muni decided they would implement a Transit Effectiveness Project which tracked Muni ridership and other statistics for years.

Long story short, we are now seeing the final product. A few lines were cut completely, others shortened, but many have extended and/or increased service! For me, it doesn't make a huge difference because I rarely take the bus. But these days it's been colder and/or raining so Pumpkin has been less inclined to bike around, probably out of worry the cold/wet will turn her into a...pumpkin? Sometimes I have to follow suit but don't fret, dear readers, it is not without taking a stand for biking first.

Yesterday, I had my bike to get around downtown but didn't really feel like battling the uphill home so Pumpkin insisted I take her muni pass (yay!). After biking to the farmer's market, I took the 5 to connect to the 43 home. I usually ride the underground but if I have a bike, no matter what time (yes, I do get bitter when laws are overly expansive), they won't let me on so I have to opt for buses.  While riding it, I discovered that 6 connects to the 43 as well, but more importantly the 44 at the same stops! Both are good options to get up the hill, so I really should have been taking 6 all these years (it also cuts in closer)! Everytime I think I know public transit, it surprises me again. Amazing =D.

No comments:

Post a Comment